50th Anniversary Of Arriving In DaNang

vietnam travel voucher kanavy

Sgt. Grit, I arrived in DaNang on Aug 26, 1966, 3 months shy of my 20th birthday. I still remember the flight from Okinawa and looking at my fellow Marines and wondering which one of us was coming home. Fortunately, most of us made it. I found this travel voucher from October 1966. I was originally scheduled to go to Viet Nam from Camp Pendleton to the Third Marine Division on June 1, 1966 but 63 of us were diverted to 12 weeks of Vietnamese Language School at the Presidio of Monterey. Upon completion of language school my new orders were to the First Marine Division. I ended up as an Intelligence scout/assistant with the S-2 Section, Hq Company, 1st Marine Regiment south of DaNang along the Song Tu Bon river. The only major operation was Union 1 and 2 from April to September 1967. I know of two of my classmates who were killed in action during that operation, Bruce Parmalee and Glen E. Sanders. John Wayne Jarrell died earlier. In all, five of the 63 language school graduates were killed.

Semper Fi,
J Kanavy
0311 Cpl USMC

35 thoughts on “50th Anniversary Of Arriving In DaNang”

  1. I came a few years later in 1969/ 29 / May, I know what you mean about classmates, I was sent into 1st marine 3btn ground Recon and was sent up in north Viet nam in the DMV. man what a hell hole that was. but by the end of 1971 i was in a battle that I wish could never had happen. I end up losing my memory and to this day I can’t say who was in my unite or what it was. but thanks to a 1st LT in a pub I ended up have my rank and all my time over there taken away from me and busted back to private in boot camp, the grate Parris Island SC, so if any one reads this and remembers me please get in touch with me. 1St LT Steven Lantrip write to my name steven lantrip @ yahoo.com in hopes of finding some one

  2. Went to Vietnam in 1966. We went from Long Beach CA to Okinawa via: the Naval Ship the Teledaga, it took 30 days to cross the Pacific, ended up in Camp Hansen with my unit the 1st Antitank Bn. Spent a few weeks at Hansen training and got aboard the LSD Wetstone for the trip to Chu Lai. Spent a few weeks in the sand of the beach area near the Airstrip, then moved to our new location on Hill 245 (I think) We spent some time their and then moved again to the DaNang Area to Happy Valley where Tanks, Amtrack, were located (don’t know the number of that hill). Was sent to a place called OP FALCON on top of Hill 327 overlooking Happy Valley (excuse me if I mis-named the Valley where we were located) , Faclon was a trip, Their were only 4 Marine on Falcon with a 360 area we had to protect at night. We would go to the ARVN Training Camp to pick-up our Guard squad every night. Some of them were RAW-Recruits, boy were tthey Scarry. We would find them asleep on guard duty sometimes. Our job was to watch for any gun fire down in the Valley below. We could see all the way to the river and beyond. It was scarry because I was not artilery trained!!!!!! Thank God nothing happen during my time there. Was sent on many operations during my time in country usually in the REAR with the gear. Someone had to do it. Hope someone from my old unit will read this a write back. Semper Fi.

      1. I also went over on the Mitchell.
        It came down from Treasure Island Cali. It had been fitted out up to date. Fresh paint. Smelled nasty. We had troops from Staging area plus around 3,500 grunts. and some 3rd. Recon. Men. 5 days to Hawaii. 8hrs shore leave. My plus other Marines orders were changed and we had to return to ship. Next Yokohama for another glorious 8hrs on to the Rock 2wks on to DaNang then to chui H-3-12
        Artillery June 11 1965.

    1. I was on the Teledaga in 1965 when the 1st Mar Div left Camp Pendleton via San Diego and on to Okinawa. We landed on White Beach at about 0200.
      A couple of months later we boarded an LSD ( I don’t remember the name but if I ever find my old seabag, it’s on there) for the trip to Chulai and spent the next couple of months next to the air strip with a Provisional Company on guard duty living in holes in the sand. Then moved “up the hill” to FLSG B.
      I remember the great day when we got “hard back tents” with real floors out of the water and a light bulb in each one for light which we had to turn off at dark so the VC couldn’t spot the camp. Somehow I got assigned to a weapons platoon fixing up busted guns and stuff, a couple of times I made patrols outside the wire and a few nights in a bunker overlooking the South China Sea. There was a Ma Duece in the bunker and were told that if any LBGTs came by we were told to fire a burst in front and a burst behind the boat, the only problem was that everyone forgot to release the trigger going from front (fore) to rear (aft), the next morning a lot of wood was washing up on the beach below the cliff. When we got off duty we would go down to the beach ad collect souvenirs that we sold to the “squids “ unloading LSTs down on the river. Sometimes we would talk the Marines with the Amtrak’s to take us up the river to fish with hand grenades. We always split the “catch” with them then go home up the hill for a fish fry.
      Most of the time life wasn’t bad,

  3. Early summer of 1965 Hotel 2/9 made a beach landing in DaNang with no resistance, we spent two weeks setting up out living quarters. My MOS was 0351 and we began to engaged in search and destroy operation. October of 1965 was transferred to Lima Company 3/3 south to Chu Lia and remain there until I rotated back State Side. December of 1965 we boarded a Frigate ship and made a beach landing between ChuLia and DaNang, spent a day on search and destroy then return back aboard the ship and headed to DaNang. I then was based in DaNang and engaging in operation and search and destroy of the VC and NVA. Spent rest of my tour in Cambodia (classified operation) on search and destroy of supply lines and their troops. This is a brief summary of my tour with a lot left out. Maybe one of my Marines will remember being with me.

  4. Looking for Marines who served with 2/26 when they left by ship, around July 1966 to Vietnam, USS Henrico. I was with H&S Co. 81 Mortars. Also looking for Marines with 2/4, I was transferred from 2/26 to 2/4 January 1967, moving from Phu Bai further up north. I became Forward Observer for 81 Mortars, I believe I was attached to E Company.

    1. Bill Craig, I was with Echo 2/4 2nd Plt. from 16 January 1967 to 28 August 1967. Moved from Dai Loc southwest of Danang to Camp Evans south Quang Tri in May of 1967.

  5. I got my all expense paid trip to the Orient in May of 1967. First firefight the night before Mothers day. What a wakeup call.
    Semper Fi

  6. Went to Vietnam in 1965 with the 1st Mar. Div.
    We did 63 days sailing back and forth in the Gulf of Tonkin on the USS Valley Forge,an LPH, waiting for some-one in Washington to say ” Put boots on the ground “.
    I was a Corporal with the 81 mm mortars, H&S company, 1st Bn. 1st Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    We made a beach landing in the Da Nang area, and never fired a shot. The locals new we were coming before we did. That changed rather quickly.
    After about a month, the Brass decided to split us up and put us all on an individual rotation basis.
    My mortar squad and I were assigned to India Co. 3rd Bn. 9th Marines.
    We pulled Perimeter Duty at the Da Nang airstrip just before Christmas 1965, and returned to the field
    shortly after New Years 1966.
    I eventually became Forward Observer with the 81s and was promoted to Sergeant on June 1, 1966.
    Then I rotated out of Vietnam in August 1966, and was released from active duty on March 27, 1967.

    1. I was in 3/9 landed nam 8/15/65 then went to 1/9 for a few days then 2/9 On Christmas dec. 65 I was in 81,s south of Danang by a steel broken bridge , middle was in the river I believe it was on highway one. All Christmas night we heard over loud speakers Marines you are going to die tonight. They would not let us go silence them. I guess we chewed some of the same dirt. Left Nam in late July of 66.

    1. Larry, I was with 3/9/3 in Quang Tri during the years of 66 – 67. Your name sounds familiar but it’s been a long time so I’m not sure if you are the same person I’m thinking about or not. I was attached to Weapons platoon (0351). We worked mainly in conjunction with Lima and Mike companies based at camp J.J.Carroll.
      My last 4 months were spent on a hill (listening post) about 1 click north of camp J.J.carroll. I don’t remember the hill number. In the middle of this I was evac’d to the hospital ship USS Repose for 7 weeks.

    2. I was in country of Viet Nam from Sept 1966 till July 1967. I was a member of 1/9 Bravo company and started the “Hill Fights “ on 861 and 881 at Khe Sanh . I will NEVER forget it. What started out as a routine patrol turned out to be three days of HELL. The platoon I was assigned to was to recon hill 861 and report any gook activity. What we ran into was an insurmountable gook force. We were surrounded and took heavy causalities.. The gooks were ambushing reinforcements trying to get to us. After the third day we had to fight our way down until we linked up with our brother marines trying to get to us. Pfc Paul Kaspar. B C ompany 1/9 3rd Mar Div. GOD BLESS THE U S MARINES

      1. Paul: We’re you familiar with Lt Terrance Roach? Bravo 1/9. He was killed on 861 in February 1968)

        Two years later I met, married his widow Lynn and raised his daughter Mary Scott, then 18 months old.

        I came in country 1966 as a USMC COMBAT CORRESPONDENT , remaining to 1968. (MOS 4312). I loved/hated my time in country but ever proud that I was a Marine. I covered too many operations to count or even keep track of.

        Captain Vincent (later major) Fox 2/9 was a close friend of mine. He’s from Missouri. Grand Mariner in the jungle; what a treat.

        Thanks to God you made it home. I’m so delighted for you.

        Charles Giesler, Cpl. USMC
        4312 Combat Correspondent
        “Last to Know, First to Go”

    1. Kent,
      I was at Marble Mt. heavy equipment mechanic from Oct. 66 until Nov. 67. Mag 16, 3rd marine air wing. Is that where you were and what dates?

  7. ATL fellow Marines and Corpsman from Nam in 1967 Echo Co. 2nd Btl. 5th Marines 1st. Marine Div. station at An Hoa.

    1. I was wounded on the morning of July 5th 1967,right after B. co 1/9 was overrun by the MVA troops.I honestly cannot remember whom I was attached to .I thought I was with F/2/9/3rd MARDIV.

  8. I was station with the Seabees in danang at 1st marine division hill 327.attacted feb 23 at 200 in the morning.if any body remember what happen at command center received combat ribbon not in my dd 214.

    1. Year of attack? Suggest you ask for info on Facebook at . Someone there might know or know someone else you can ask. Tell admin of that Facebook website what you are looking for and they may post for you if they don’t let you on there. Your info above didn’t have the year so tell them the year also. Let me know if they help or not.

    2. I was with HqCo 26thMar. We were located about 10 miles west of DaNang, next to 1stMarDiv HQ. We were also attacked the morning of Feb 23,1969. The sappers were inside the compound before we knew it, blowing up hootches with satchel charges, and shooting anyone who survived. The CommPlt took a big hit because our hootches were located near the wire. We eventually killed 22 of them inside the compound,and pulled several out of the wire the next day. I believe that was the start of Tet 69. Hope that helped with your time line.

    3. File with the VA a request for a DD-215. I left Vietnam with 5 awards (1967) and many years later, upon the suggestion of an active duty Marine, I filed a request for a DD-215 (updated DD-214) and found out that I had been awardee 5 more awards that I never knew about. Your Combat Action award will be in the DD-215

  9. A member of Charlie Co., 1st Btn, 5th Mar Reg originally stationed in An Hoa, near Danang begin Oct 1969. MOS was 0331

    1. Was with Mike 3/5 as an 0311 and 0331 in Fall of 69′. We came in from bush in December 69′ for Xmas. We picked up our Xmas packages and had 3 days of R and R supposedly. One day in and NVA regiment was spotted moving through Arizona Territory and we had to dump everything and mount up. Chased them for 3 months out there along with ROK’s and ARVN. Culminated with regimental sized op. So we missed Christmas and all the pogey bait from home we couldn’t carry. 3 months later we returned to An Hoa in the middle of the night. We broke into the base kitchen and mess hall and ate everything. 3 days and a few Article 15’s later we mounted up again and headed out to who knows where. I was just a L/CPL so I wasn’t privy to locations and plans

  10. Does anybody remember Operations Hastings? Please I’d love to read your stories. I’m also on facebook
    Harry (GAP) (Horrible) Skaggs
    GySgt Retired

    1. I was at Cam Lo for Hastings with G/3/12. We did a lot of shooting there. Later on we moved a mile or so north. Congs tried to overrun us on 26 Aug 66. We killed 72, had 7 Marines KIA. This was during Op Prairie. We left there about 15 Sept 66 and went up and built Camp Carroll .

  11. I made L/CPL on my 1st tour and CPL on my 2nd tour back to back…I was with the 1st MARINE DIV.
    HQ 11th Marines DaNang we were about 5 miles from the DaNang air base MOS 2531/2511..
    I arrived in Viet Nam on March 1967 until December 1968 spent my 21st birthday in a fox hole had my M=79 M-60 M-14 fully auto and my 1911 this was during the 68 Tet…I am now 75 and still a
    U.S.MARINE and damn proud of it…SEMPER FI to all my brother and sisters..God Bless you all
    OH RAH

Leave a Reply to Lynn B Webster Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.