10 September 2011


After 66 years, WWII (now) PhM 2/C Bill “Doc” Lynne, George Company, 2d Battalion, 5th Marines, 1ST MARDIV was awarded the Bronze Star with “V” attachment for heroic action during the Battle for Okinawa, by Major General Lawrence D. Nicholson, in Detroit, Michigan.


During World War II in the Pacific Theater, George Company, 2d Battalion, 5th Marines had fought valiantly and bravely at Tulagi, Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Talasea and Peleliu.  Never before had the Japanese been defeated until they faced the United States Marine Corps. 


The Battle ofOkinawa was the culmination of FMF Pac III—Amphibious Corps’ “island hopping” before the final attack on mainland Japan.  The Marines had landed on the last Japanese defense before their homeland: Okinawa. The Japanese were unwilling to surrender.  With each island, the enemy became more ruthless. Unwilling to surrender, the enemy killed or tortured captured Marines to death…giving no quarter. The enemy had been pushed to the wall, the Marines never giving up; relentlessly pursuing a fearless, resourceful, desperate yet disciplined fighting force.  As a result, the Battle for Okinawa was bloody, intense and fierce.


Corpsmen were special targets by an enemy that did not honor the Geneva Convention.  At Tulagi and the Canal, the enemy quickly learned the Marines left no man behind, mercilessly killing Corpsmen kneeling next to wounded Marines as they attempted to save lives. All Corpsmen removed the identifying cross they wore on their uniforms or helmets during the Battles of Tulagi and Guadalcanal. 


D-Day Okinawa

1 April 1945

Yontan and Kadena Airfields

Nineteen year old Bill “Doc” Lynne, was back with his beloved George Company after he had been injured by artillery and mortar fire as he landed on D-Day, 15 September 1944, with 2nd  Bn/5th  Marines at Peleliu.  He writes: “On the morning of April Fool’s day, Easter Sunday morning, April 1, 1945, we had the traditional breakfast of steak and eggs.  We then gathered topside for roll call.  This is traditional in the Corps, the last roll call prior to combat.  Ships lay at anchor everywhere as far as you could see in every direction.


“After roll call, we proceeded to board the amtracs in the same way that we had practiced many times.  When we were all aboard and at a given signal, the two big bow doors opened and the amtracs swam out into the China Sea. 


“We knew that many of our fellow Marines would be dead before long and that we might be among that number.  It was expected that the first waves would take horrible casualties. We felt the amtracs lumber ashore and the big back door drop down…we scrambled out and onto the beach. Who could believe it, I couldn’t there was no opposition!  A few scattered rounds of artillery came in and in the distance you can hear scattered rifle fire, but all in all there was eerie silence.  Was it a trap?  No one knew what to expect.”


G 2/5 landed unopposed between the Yontan and Kadena airfields in southern Okinawa. Veterans Peleliu were surprised and cautious after their experiences of watching their mates get mercilessly cut down by interlocking fire while landing on those beaches less than a year prior. Some were also secretly concerned that the enemy again lay in wait as they had often done during that ruthless battle.  They anticipated bonzai attacks and foxhole infiltration at night or sniper fire from the rear of their columns.  After Peleliu, they had also come to expect the enemy to attack from hidden caves.  None came.  Some Marines spoke of this being a “walk in the park.” Many thought the Japanese fled.


They did not know their bloodiest days lay ahead.


1 May 1945

George Company received word to pack their gear and board trucks to head south.  Bill writes, “We were unloaded some distance from the front lines and our unit was assigned to relieve the Army’s 27th Division. We formed columns on both sides of the road at five pace intervals and proceeded to our positions.  As we moved forward, the men of the 27th moved off the lines.  What a bedraggled bunch of men they were, and within a matter of days, we would look just like them.  As we approached our positions, the Japanese began to pound our lines with artillery and mortar fire.  Already the cry for corpsmen was heard.


“We were commanded to open a general advance…George Company was in the assault…Casualties were heavy and now we knew what the army had been up against.  The Japanese were using the terrain to their advantage with mutually supporting firing positions everywhere, caves to neutralize, and the hard-fighting Japanese soldier.  This kind of fighting continued every day for the next 50 days…the casualties we took were being taken by every front line on Okinawa.  Each day brought a new assignment for head-on confrontation.  We fought the Japanese toe to toe, and little by little, we gained ground from them.  That ground, and those gains, our blood brought.”


10 May 1945—Wana Draw and Wana Ridge—Shuri Line

George Company’s harsh experiences on Peleliu prepared them for cave-saturated Wana Ridge and Wana Draw.  This area was the Japanese army commander, Lt. General Mitsuru Ushijima’s key Shuri Defense Zone.  His orders were “to hold without fail.”  George Company was entering into a hell-fire fight.  Corpsmen were special targets.


Bill became a target and described his experience regarding the loyalty Marines have for their Corpsmen, as he writes, “I was eight or ten feet behind the line observing what was going on when something caught my attention to the right and behind me.  I looked in time to see what I believe was a Japanese officer, in the act of throwing a satchel charge at me.  It happened so quickly it’s hard to describe.  The charge went off and blew me into the air. Japanese ran out of the cave and Marines in my platoon began to kill them.  They (Marines) were firing over my prone body and many of the Japanese dead fell around me.  I was deaf and had blood coming out of my ears.”  The Marines were fiercely protecting their Corpsman.  Bill was evacuated to a field hospital.  He had a mild concussion and some hearing loss.  He considered himself fortunate to be alive, but desperately wanted to return to his fellow Marines. 


After several days at the hospital and much pleading to return to his platoon, Bill was allowed to return to duty.  However, G 2/5 was pinned down so badly and the fighting had become so intense, the wounded were being evacuated with tanks and amtracs. Bill was able to cajole a ride: “I was taken to the front line in a Sherman tank.  The tank captain told me that when they reached our destination, he would turn the turret in such a fashion that I could go out the escape hatch between the treads of the tank. As I crawled out, I saw my comrades (in the First Platoon) leaning forward, looking at me saying, ‘Welcome back, Doc, we thought you were blown up.’ I reported to the captain and said I was reporting back to duty for the duration.”


George Company continued to take casualties.  The Japanese were becoming more and more desperate. They knew if they lost Okinawa; the Marines’ next step was inevitable and unthinkable: the invasion of their homeland.  Marines did not think the fighting could get any more brutal. It did.


At least fifty-one of George Company’s Marines and Corpsmen were killed in action on Okinawa; most between 10 May and 25 June.  Many more were wounded and evacuated.


15 June 1945—Kunishi Ridge

Bill “Doc” Lynne had just turned twenty years old on 7 June, but didn’t realize his birthday had come and gone.  He went about his business as Corpsman for the 1st Platoon.  Unbeknownst to him and his fellow George Company Marines, the Battle of Okinawa would last two more weeks. 


The 5th Marines had pushed the Japanese past their final defensive line to Kunishi Ridge. Here, the Marines had to cover about 100 yards of open plain to get to the ridge. The mortar and sniper fire was intense.


Suddenly the cry for Corpsman came up.  Doc Lynne saw two Marines in the distance.  One was returning fire, the other lay prone, but struggling.  Heavy mortar and sniper fire mercilessly continued to come in. Bill crawled with his head down, using the Marine’s screams as a beacon. His Marines provided covering fire, fiercely protective of their beloved Corpsman. 


When Bill got to the wounded Marine, he triaged him. He saw that the Marine, Merle Meisner, had suffered a severe wound to the jaw and neck, and could not breathe.  Doc remembered his days at San Diego in the Hospital Corps. There he watched a Navy surgeon perform a tracheotomy. The surgeon informed Bill that Corpsmen must not perform that procedure, that it was best to have a trained physician do it. 


Bill “Doc” Lynne saw there was no time to lose.  With the cacophony of the firefight and cover fire barraging around them, he shouted at the other Marine, Edison Davis to hold Merle down.  Doc Lynne pulled out his K-Bar.  Wide-eyed, Davis held Merle down.  Doc reported that Davis shouted, “What are you gonna do, butcher him?” Then Doc efficiently cut into Merle’s throat and inserted I.V. tubing.  Merle still did not breathe.  Doc then placed his mouth over the tube and began to draw out fluid and blood, spitting it onto the ground.  Later, Doc commented, “When I saw Merle relax and his color came back a little, I knew he was breathing.”  Doc stayed at Merle’s side until he could be evacuated.   


Word got around G 2/5 about this incident.  Many saw the results of Bill’s action.  Some saw Merle at the Hospital Aid Station with the tubing in his throat.  Marines and Navy hospital personnel asked who did it.  The answer was, “Doc” Lynne.  However, since there was no officer present to witness it, Doc Lynne’s action was never recognized.


66 Years Later

10 September 2011—World War II, G 2/5’s Last Reunion—Detroit, Michigan

After eight years of work to get Doc recognized for his heroic action, G 2/5 met for their final reunion. 


At the reunion banquet, Doc Lynne was humbly astonished as Major General Lawrence D. Nicholson called him front and center, as a United States Marine Corps Color Guard stood at attention.  To Doc’s surprise, he watched with tears of joy as three of his children and three of his grandchildren walked into the banquet room. Eanos “Tom” Evans, a dear friend and one of the Marines who provided cover fire for Doc as he performed the field tracheotomy, read his citation:


The  President of  the  United  States  takes  pleasure  in  presenting  the  Bronze  Star  Medal  to:                  



for  service  as  set  forth  in  the  following  citation:

          For  heroic  achievement  in  connection  with  combat  operations  against  the  enemy while  serving  as  Corpsman  with  First  Platoon,  Company  G,  2d Battalion,  5th Marine Regiment,  on  15  June  1945,  during  the  Battle  of  Okinawa.

On  this  date,  the  platoon  to  which  Petty  Officer  Lynne  was  assigned  began  sustaining casualties  from  automatic  weapons  and  mortar  fire.  Ignoring  the  intense  fire,  he  selflessly exposed  himself  in  order  to aid  a  fallen  comrade.  Assessing  the  damage  to  the  Marine’s  neck  and  the  Marine’s  inability  to  breathe,  Petty  Officer  Lynne  with  the assistance  of  another  Marine,  in  a  calm  and  thoroughly  professional  manner,  expertly performed  a  tracheotomy,  thereby  undoubtedly  saving  the  Marine’s  life.   Still  under intense  fire,  he  continued  to  treat  and  evacuate  his  comrade.   Word  of  his  bravery  and medical  acumen  spread  among  his  fellow  corpsman  and  Marines  and  served  as  an inspiration  to  those  he  fought  alongside,  thereby  enhancing  their  ability  to  defeat  a determined  enemy.  Petty  Officer  Lynne’s  courageous  action,  personal  initiative,  and  steadfast  devotion  to  duty  reflected  great  credit  upon  him  and  were  in  keeping  with  the  highest  traditions  of  the  United  States  Naval  Service.

The  Combat  Distinguishing  Device  is  authorized. 

                                                                      For the President,

                                                                      Ray Mabus

                                                                      Secretary of the Navy                            

15 September 2011

I called Bill to check in on him to make sure he made the trip home safely.  I also wanted to insure I had my details for this article accurate.  He was cheerful and upbeat.  He spoke of convincing his father to allow him to enlist at age 17 into the United States Navy as a Corpsman.  We talked about his years of dedicated service: his zealous dedication to Toys for Tots in his home town of Kingsland, Georgia; his lifetime membership in the Military Order of The Purple Heart; his dedication to the Disabled American Veterans; his active life with his local VFW; and of course, his love for his fellow Marines and Corpsman of G 2/5.  He spoke of his love for Major General Lawrence D. Nicholson, USMC and how he hoped the General “keeps his tail tucked in” when he goes back to active duty—his hopes that the General will someday be Commandant of the Marine Corps. Doc said the last five days were the best of his life. His last words to me were, “Words cannot express what you have done for me.  I didn’t fully realize how much this medal meant to me until today.”


That evening 15 September 2011 and sixty seven years to the day when he was first injured on D-Day at Peleliu, while sitting in his easy chair and looking through his Marine Corps book “HoldYour Head High, Marine,” Pharmacist’s Mate 2nd Class, William G. Lynne of Kingsland, Georgia, peacefully passed away.


Job well done Marine, rest in peace.









My thanks and eternal gratitude to Major General Lawrence D. Nicholson and Lieutenant Colonel Rex Sappenfield for their generous assistance and tireless work in helping obtain Doc Lynne’s Bronze Star with “V” attachment, all the while keeping the process a secret so Bill would be surprised.


 Many, many Marines exhibited brotherhood and sisterhood that only the Corps can.  They helped speed the process to ensure Doc Lynne received his award. They are: 
 Eanos “Tom” Evans, a USMC veteran of World War II and Korea, a member of the venerable 1st Platoon, George Company, 2nd Bn, 5th Marines on Okinawa and Peleliu, and a lifelong friend of Bill Lynne.  He started this process in 2002 and hit wall after wall.  He handed it to me in 2010, asking me to continue the struggle to get Doc Lynne recognized. At first I felt overwhelmed. However, I was also honored he entrusted it to me.
 SSgt. Phanya Sisoukrath of I & I, Co. D. 4th Tank Bn MCAGCC 29 Palms, who drove to Desert Hot Springs, California to visit Edison Davis to collect a statement from him.
 Captain David F. Samuel, who is now the Commanding Officer of Echo Company, 2nd Bn, 1st Marines who also personally drove from Recruiting Station San Diego where he was the Executive Officer, to visit with Edison Davis and certified Davis’ statement.  Both of these Marines volunteered to do this. 
 Master Sergeant Julius D. Spain, a Defense Legislative Fellow with the Office of the United States Senator Johnny Isakson (GA) was a tremendous help obtaining the Senator’s endorsement on the package in record time.
 Finally, Captain Susan Vance, Lee Freund, Betty Hill and Herb Edwards of Marine Corps Award Branch were superb in helping Colonel Sappenfield understand the requirements of submitting an award of this nature and helping us get the award to the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps.
 General James F. Amos, Commandant of the Marine Corps, who wrote a gleaming recommendation for Doc to the Secretary of the Navy. 
 The Honorable Ray Mabus, Secretary of the Navy who did award Doc his Bronze Star with “V”.
 Respectfully submitted,
 Carolyn Hutchings Carino
 Proud daughter of Marine Mustang, Lt. Charles A. Hutchings
 E, F, G, H & Hq. Co’s 2nd Bn/ 5th Marines 
 Gunnery Instructor, Marine Corps Base, Quantico


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.