Guard Duty at Iwakuni

This is me on guard duty while I was at Iwakuni, Japan. (78-79) My MOS was 1371 Combat Engineer.You can see the Quonset hut in the background that we lived in back then. I was told that both MAG 15 and MWSG 17 have since been retired. That is sad but the memories that I have of my fellow Marines that served with me are always with me. Semper Fi, L/CPL Kenneth McCauley

Sgt Grit wants to hear from you! Leave your comments below orĀ Submit your own Story !

24 thoughts on “Guard Duty at Iwakuni”

  1. I spent 7 years in Iwakuni, a great place to “grow up” in the Corps. I was there the same time frame you were, it was my second duty station and I volunteered to get out of the Lejeune area. i worked at SAR Search and Rescue, definitely a memorable place to be as a LCpl-Sgt. Semper fidelis, SgtMaj Rawling

  2. I was there on my second tour in Iwakuni as an A-6 pilot in VMA (aw) 224 in MAG 12. Lot’s of good memories. A good friend of mine was there last year and said you would not recognize the place. The only thing that is the same is the concrete Zero hangar. Semper Fi Marine!

  3. I was at Iwakuni with V M G R 152 in 1965 pulled guard duty many times lived in Quonset hut and old Japanese barracks they where quite the places.

  4. I was in Iwakuni from 1972 to 1977 and loved it. I had to buy those new camo utilities for a junk on the bunk right before I got out, but never actually wore them. I was a computer programmer, Sergeant, living off base (our barracks were full) and taught English a couple nights a week as a volunteer. My classes did a lot of things as a group, and took me all over Western Japan. I got to see and do so many things tourists never do, including going to one of my student’s wedding, going to the younger kids sports day at school, ringing a temple bell at midnight on New Year’s eve with my class, going to bon odori where all the girls were dressed up in their summer kimono, pounding out mochi with one student’s family… I married a girl from my Hiroshima class right before I left, and we’ve been back to Japan about 5 or 6 times since to visit her family, but never to Iwakuni.

    1. I was in Iwakuni-72 with mag 15 motor transport and went on to Nam phong Thailand helped build the base the Rose Garden

      1. Yep there with MAG 15 MCAS Rose Garden, Nam Phong Tahiland. I left with the last In September 73 after air combat stopped. Retrograded back to Iwakuni. Still have a lot of photos of all the Rose Garden Camp.. Loved it!!

  5. SEMPER FI MARINES. I was the last at det c mwsg 17 1983 still have the plaque !! Warrent officer Carson and capt Stanton were our platoon leaders Such a great place. Thanks for the memories cpl Ed Pequignot 1982-1986.

  6. I was there in 1963 – 64 MWHG H&HS1 FMAW ,MOS 1341 ,We were at North end of the base , end of the flightline , motor-pool , I was the only heavy Equipment Mechanic on the base . Had a great time , I wanted to ship-over and stay but they said NO . E4 – CPL. Thomas Cole

  7. I was there 58-59 with MWHG. Lived in Quonset huts as shown in picture. Righ outside main gate on right was “first chance restaurant”. When you were heading back to base, the side said “last chance restaurant”. They had great fried rice, which I love to this day. Siempre Fi.

  8. Semper Fi Iwakuni Marines. Was SAR pilot from Feb 78 to Mar 79. Plucked a Navy Chaplain with broken back from bottom of waterfall. We got Boeing Rescue award. Crewchief Evans saved our lives guidung the 46 into box canyon cutting branches with rotorblades to make extraction. We changed some blades but saved our Chaplain. Seemper Fi.

  9. It was my first duty station after training in MAS yuma. I was there MAG12 H&HS 12 in june 1980-1981. During my time there, I built bomb (blue practice) and the 2.75 rocket pods for a short time, before getting sent out with VMA214 “black sheep” an A-4 squadron. I went to northern japan at Misawa SDJDB for two weeks and Kadena Okanonia USAF BASE for three. Finishing my time there as barracks support where the staff in charge said that I had earned Letter of mertius mast, but never saw it. I’d wish to get this assignment later than the first, for it was the first time ever that I had left the country borders.

  10. Iwakuni 76-77, WERS-17 Wing Equipment Repair Squadron (We Eventually Repair Something) 13 months, great duty station. Soba with monkey meat from the truck that went through wingside.

  11. I was MABS – 17 station ordnance in 63-64 and lived in Block 8. In 69-70 lived in Quonset huts while in VMFA – 334. Passed through Iwakuni in 73 as a CWO-2 , went to station ordnance and the OIC, Cpt. Wilkerson, was my old friend from 63 when I was a PFC and he was a CPL. I almost forgot, lived in Quosetts wingside 3 months in 67 when VMFA regrouped and went back to Danang.I took Japanese in 63. My folks lived in Rockville, MD. Iwa translates to large rock or Boulder. Kuni translates to area or ville. So, Iwakuni translated to Rockville. Semper Fi – Gunner Beye to

  12. I was with MWSG-17 when we moved from Itami to Iwakuni in 1954. We lived in the old Japanese barracks that were in the shape of a square letter O. In the open part of the O it was like a Japanese traditional formal garden. They were two story with the head on the lower level. They were next to the flight line. I worked at group HQ and behind the building, there were deep depressions along the dike from bombs of WW. When we arrived, the old Japanese bath was still there and worked. We loved it, but soon the powers to be tore them out. Also on walking to work every day I passed a small shrine that we were told the Kamakazi pilots made their last ritual before flying out. Also while there, several old Lockheed twin engine bombers were turned over to the Japanese. It was strange to see these old bomber painted a dark navy blue with the rising sun painted on the fuselage. I was then transferred to MAG-33 located at K3 airbase. It was located at Younil (Pohang) at the upper edge of the Pusan perimeter, and the area changed hands at least three times during the war. Semper Fi. Sgt. Daniel Colbert

  13. I was there from December 60 to December 62 with VMR253 in the hydraulic shop. It changed to VMGR when the name of the C-130.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.