If you are having trouble viewing this issue, see it on our website:

Sgt Grit Newsletter - 22 MAY 2014

In this issue:
• Buddies Are Forever
• Being An Alumnus Of MCRD
• Heartbreak Ridge

Online Store TShirts Men's Headgear Patches Women's

Flags   Family Member   Ka-Bars   Auto   Headgear  Jackets  ALL CATEGORIES  

Request a catalog
Facebook Twitter Sgt Grit Blog Sgt Grit's RSS Feeds

Pics from my collection.

Freedom Hill pre-ammo dump fiasco. Marine Barracks Nam O Bridge.

Semper Fi
Sgt Grit

Eyeballs... Click

Sgt Grit newsletter subscribers,

Are your newsletters missing in action? We are working to restore full delivery to all subscribers. MIA newsletters can be found on our website at:

15 May 2014
08 May 2014
01 May 2014
Newsletter Archives

Buddies Are Forever

I look forward to Thursday morning's weekly newsletters. Many laughs and stories, some I can relate to.

This week's first story "Friends" hit me hard and yes I cried although alone.

For the past eight years I have belonged to a Group at our local VA Clinic. Our group is comprised of originally eleven members. Two Marines, a Seabee, Seven Army and me, a Navy Corpsman FMF. I am the oldest and am considered their Doc (corrected the Army guys in regards to I was not a Medic).

We meet every Monday at the clinic for an hour and a half. The past seven years we formed and were approved a Self-Support Group. We facilitated ourselves and made our rules and topics of interest to discuss. Our meeting room is a staff lunch room and is for our use from 1 pm until 2:30 pm. We have met religiously every Monday, a couple of us have had lunch together every Monday.

This has worked out well amazingly as we have one guy who drives 100 miles round trip and two others half that distance. We are beyond War Stories unless it is a funny. We talk about today or tell jokes or whatever comes up.

Of course we have aged and a good part of our discussions are of our health, and aging. An accomplishment over the years has been shedding weight (I had the clinic dietician, newly graduated and a pretty blonde, give us an in service on Diabetes, weight etc.). We also rotate bringing bottle water weekly. The clinic machines charge a buck fifty.

Seven Years ago one of the guys we called him fondly "General" was diagnosed suddenly with a weak heart. Heart Failure. He was fifty eight years old. He was immediately put on the transplant list. Two weeks later as he walked into the meeting his cell phone rang. They had a Heart. A local Hospital did Transplants. He has family all up North. Another story. We were his family. We supported him, visited, and prayed.

He survived. Seven years later he was hospitalized about with an infection. We visited, called, and checked on him. He was discharged to go home and drove to the Meeting. We were happy to see him but as that still Corpsman in me, things didn't look good. Two weeks he missed group and didn't answer his phone. I called the hospital and sure enough he was a patient. Transferred the call to his room. I thought it was a Nurse who answered, but it was his daughter. Slammed, I knew the worse. His Family was here.

I had to relay this to the guys and maintain my composure. The "General's" kidneys were shutting down. How long? A month, a week, who knows.

So this past Tuesday I visited him along with another member. Brought him a Chocolate E-Clair and Creme Puff. We told jokes, laughed and knew it wouldn't be long. As I left I told him when he comes home we would meet on Monday at his home. I didn't want him to be driving anywhere. He smiled and said he would have lunch catered. I hope and pray this happens as many Mondays as we can.

Buddies are forever. Semper Fi!

"Doc" Morelli

Being An Alumnus Of MCRD

I would like to thank GySgt. F. L. Rousseau for the stories that a Desert Storm era Marine can only dream of. The depth and breadth of your experience, GySgt Rousseau, is truly staggering. I served four years and managed to see more of the world than I could have possibly imagined (essentially 3 years of TAD with Camp Foster as an LZ), but I am still a puppy compared to you, and will always remain so, as you are the big dog. You have my respect and admiration, as I do for 99% of the folks who post here. We all have one thing in common that the long-hairs with their hookahs could never understand. I couldn't have cared less about my high school graduation, but being an alumnus of MCRD San Diego means something to me. But the true kudos go to Sgt. Grit for having the savvy and brains to combine commercial interests with folklore and legend for those with the ears to hear. The very best place anywhere in the world for Marine gear and Marine stories. Nobody loses in your endeavor, Sgt. Grit, and that makes you unique in my experience. I flew into Oklahoma City from Idaho (bizarrely) a few years ago, but the woman I was with was not interested in navigating from Will Rogers to your shop. I was psyched to come by and say hi, but did not get the chance. The funny thing was that all I could think about: see a tornado and say hello to Grit and his motivating personnel! Keep your heads down and Semper Fi.

LCpl Raines, Paul D.
USMC '89-'93
3451 on open contract

782 Gear

I was reading my weekly newsletter and someone was talking again about the Old Corps. I then remembered a picture that was on my wall in an office I was assigned to when we moved to a new area of the base one time. I liked it and never took it down. I took a photograph of it when I retired and gave up the office. Thought I would pass it along.

Gy Mac.

Overnight Liberty

Dear Sgt. Grit,

In response to "No Overnight Liberty" submitted by Tom A., Sgt of Marines:

I was never on the aviation side, but I believe the keyword here is "students." Given they are in a school environment, allowing them to stay out late would be akin to setting them up for failure. Yes, they are Marines, but still new to the ways of the Corps, and it is difficult to stay focused when you are tired.

When I was a unit leader in Infantry Training Battalion, School of Infantry East, in the late 1980s, liberty was not sounded until Saturdays at noon, and expired 1800, Sunday. If we were in garrison, the students would have down time in the evening, but could go no further than the PX/snack bar next door. The command tried granting evening liberty for a short time, but it seems our aspiring infantrymen had trouble staying awake during the day.

Semper Fi,
Wayne Dillon
SgtMajor USMC (Ret.)

I reported to Marine Air Detachment (MAD) NAS Memphis, TN as a new Lance Corporal. My promotion ceremony was on my orders so I reported wearing PFC stripes. During my processing I was treated like a fresh Marine from MCRD. The time frame is March 1962.

I spent the next nine months in the Avionics Student barracks, wooden WW II with Fire Watches and Duty NCO's. Liberty Cards were the norm and Lance Corporals and below checked out in Service "A" Uniform only. Civilian clothes were optional only off base, therefor Millington, TN had locker clubs for storage and changing into "civvies." The rank constraints applied to our personal vehicles, parking was outside the main gate with proof of coverage.

Monday through Thursday, Cinderella Liberty only, 2300. Weekends started at 1630 Friday to 2300 Sunday.

Marine students marched to the various training phase locations in ONE Marine formation, close to two hundred Marines.

GySgt Jeffrey W, Bednarz (USMCR)
'59-'73 and '81-'91

Pleasant Surprise

Vicki and I were at Roswell cancer institute this morning after being at the VA for blood work so we went up to the cafeteria to grab a quick bite, while in line a youthful guy approached us and asked about Vicki's shirt (Army Mom) and my Always A Marine cover. After some talk, we went our separate ways. Well we went to check out and found out he picked up our bill. What a pleasant surprise. I guess there are still some very nice people out there.

Cpl. Jerry Knavel
11th Marines, RVN

Marine Warriors

My dear friends, Marine Warriors, SgtMaj John Gallegos, SgtMaj. Gene Overstreet, former SgtMaj of The Marine Corps, and MGySgt Jerry Scoggins, had a great reunion today at the Veterans Memorial in Albuquerque, NM. John and Gene are a part of the "Run For The Wall" motorcycle ride from San Diego to Washington DC with a brief stopover for R&R.

D-mn, it is good to see old friends again. Ride with care and praying for a safe trip for all. God Bless. Semper Fidelis.

Silver Star And Purple Heart

As a Vietnam combat veteran (1966 - 1967 Khe Sanh, 26th Marines) I was awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart for actions while serving in Vietnam. My Silver Star was presented to me by the then Commandant, General Leonard Chapman in his office while I was stationed at A Co. Hqtrs. Marine Corps at the old Henderson Hall across from the Navy Annex in Arlington, Va.

Recently, on Friday April 25th this year, my wife and I had the honor of being invited to the (CMC) Commandant of the Marine Corps Reception at his residence at 8th and I. The occasion was for the 1st night of the 80th year of the "Sunset Parade" at 8th & I. Last week I submitted a picture of the CMC and I, here is an additional photo I took with the Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps, Sgt. Major Michael P. Barrett at the reception.

Al Varelas - Vietnam Veteran
26th Marines - Khe Sanh - Republic of South Vietnam


It was about a year ago that a member of the Worcester Detachment of the Marine Corps League named Ted Hilliard mentioned a story about a dog named Meathead; Vieques, P.R. Camp Garcia's Mascot. Anyway, Ted was there after me in 1962 and he said the dog stayed in the Major's quarters. When I was there I ran the Carpenters Shop and Meathead slept in our hut for the entire six months. Anyone remember the black dog with a bull shaped body and a very large head named Meathead and where it was quartered?

Cpl. Chris Manos
USMC 1958-64

Memorable Life Experience

In 1954, I was in Mar Det USS Wisconsin in Norfolk, VA. I was given 30 days leave to get to Miami, OK, and it was popular to travel by military hop in those days. Go to a US Naval Air Station or Air Force Base, present your orders, and you could get on a plane (space available) going near your destination.

Went to NAS Norfolk and got a ride to Anacostia NAS outside Washington DC. Got there after they had dispatched everything and they told me to show up early and they could get me west. Rode bus into Wash. (free, military in uniform) wandered around then tried to find a room... no go, every high school senior in the USA was there and there wasn't any rooms. Even flophouses were full. About 6 or so ended up in front of Hay Adams Hotel, then and now one of the finest. Went in and they had one room $75 bucks... clerk said probably won't fill it this late, so I will give it to you for half price and $10 off for military. Which was lots of money, but couldn't see sleeping in the street so I took it. Went out and had a beer and a sandwich then left for call at 5AM. When I got down to check out there was an Arab looking gentleman (looked like King Farouk) already there and one of his people was settling up their bill. They had been there while, had a suite and many people, and was rather involved. So he said hello and he asked, "Do you stay here often?" which was rather a joke and I told him my circumstances and he tapped his guy on the shoulder and said, "Put his room on our bill." I thanked him and he said just go on and catch your plane. Bus back to NAS got there as they played colors so I saluted and stood. Like most Navy and AFB bases everyone else ran inside so they could skip it. When they secured there was an Admiral's staff car at the curb beside me with two stars. He rolled the window down and said, "Why didn't you go inside?" I saluted and told him that's not the way Marines were taught. He laughed and asked where I was going and when I told him he said my plane is going to Ft Worth, Texas in about an hour if you would like to go there. My steel sharp mind immediately figured Ft Worth is sure closer to Tulsa than Washington so I said yes.

We went into the dispatch office and he told the clerk what we wanted and the Yeoman said, "No can do, flight plan already in and no passengers on it." The Admiral asked him to phone his base commander and tell him Admiral so and so wanted words... Base commander came on and Admiral said Joe or Hank whatever his name was... this is Bill... "One of your people tells me I can't do something, would you please tell him, I am an Admiral in the US Navy and can do pretty d-mn much as I please." Phone was passed back and after a bunch of yes sirs, no sirs etc. he hung up and said, "why sure I could go."

Lost a buck and some change playing Cribbage (not my game but sure was his) had lunch and there was bunch of people waiting for him at airport, seems he was Commander of that Naval District and drew a bunch of water. Thanked the crew and then I went to dispatch and I was placed on an Air Force plane going to Tinker AFB, OK City, and I got another hop. The Co-pilot said he wasn't due at home till the next day and he, in his personal car, gave me a ride to Greydog bus station in Tulsa, got the last bus out and arrived in Miami, (Oklahoma that is) about 5AM. So, 48 hours, Norfolk to Washington DC, Fort Worth, Texas and home. Total cost, sandwich and beer in DC. I'm sure they don't allow hops now because so d-mn much paperwork and fear over TERRORISTS... it is a real shame as it was definitely a memorable life experience.

Sgt Don Wackerly

Heartbreak Ridge

In the summer of 1986 Clint Eastwood was directing and starring in 'Heartbreak Ridge' as GySgt Thomas Highway. It's a bit hokey with lots of inaccuracies but still contains enough to hold the attention of most Marines. Highway's recon unit is supposedly based out of Camp Lejeune but in fact the movie was filmed at Camp Pendleton and MCAS El Toro only one month before I reported to VMGR-352 / MAG-11 / 3rd MAW (my last duty station before leaving active duty). Clint had even signed the overhead control panel with a Sharpie on the flight deck of tail # 019, a KC-130F. (The KC-130 is a rugged, reliable, versatile, awesome aircraft, been flying now more than 50 years).

Clint stands tall in cammies here. Second from right is my boss GySgt Peterson, Flight Crew and NCOIC of Electric Shop, and far right is my buddy Sgt Ken (last name withheld) who was a Loadmaster. Interestingly, I work with Ken now, but we did not know each other then though our duty in 352 overlapped by several months. Lots of the extras at the end of the movie were 352 Marines and you can clearly see the squadron CO, LtCol Ritchie.

(SSGT) Scott E. Bawinkel
USMC 1981 - 1990

Need Vital Information 1967-1968 Vietnam

Sgt Grit,

Regarding: Lt.Col. Larry Edward Perry who was a 1st Lt. with Company C, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division (Rein.) FMF June 5, 1968. Commanders were Archie Van Winkle, Commander M. J. Gravel and Lt.Comd. Yamonde.

It is vital that I really need to hear from others who were with me during this time in Vietnam. I'm needing "Buddy Letters" in support of me when we were on Hill 881 and also at the DMZ in 1967-1968. I was blown up into the air and knocked out for one and a half hours. I now have "Short Term Memory Loss" and scarring on the brain because of this. I'm needing to prove that I was blown up, where this occurred and who of you were there with me. This is needed to provide benefits for my wife to receive a Widow's Pension and to provide this proof along with my military record from St. Louis. Just a diagnosis of PTSD is not enough on death certificates. I'm now in the VA Dementia Unit and need more memory support from you who were with me. I received two Purple Hearts and Silver Star, etc. I continued for 20 years in Reserves and became a Lt. Col.

Any information you can provide to my wife will be greatly appreciated. Please reply to: greenpursesue[at]gmail.com or call (817)881-5326.

I went to Quantico, VA, in 1968-1969 and served with General Virgil Banning. This information must be provided to me in writing before my death. Any memory you have would be greatly appreciated. Time is of the essence.

Thank you & Semper Fi
Lt. Col Larry Edward Perry

General Order No. 1-5

Headquarters U.S. Marine Corps Washington
21 December 1908

The following Executive Order is hereby promulgated for the information of officers of the U. S. Marine Corps.

1. Officers of the United States Marine Corps, of whatever rank will be examined physically, and undergo the test herein prescribed at least once in every two years; the time of such examination to be designated by the Commandant of the Corps so as to interfere as little as possible with their regular duties, and the tests to be Carried out in the United States between May first and July first, as the Commandant of the Corps may direct, and on foreign stations between December first and February first.

2. All field officers will be required to take a riding test of ninety miles, this distance to be covered in three days. Physical examinations before and after riding, and the riding tests, to be the same as those prescribed for the United States Army by General Orders, No.79 (paragraph 3). War Department May 14,1908.

3. Line officers of the Marine Corps in the grade of Captain or Lieutenant will be required to walk fifty miles, this distance to be divided into three days, actual marching time, including rests, twenty hours in battle time ground may have to be covered on the run, as if these officers are not equal to the average physical strength of their companies the men will be held back, resulting in unnecessary loss of life and probably defeat.

Company officers will, therefore, be required during one of the marching periods to double time two hundred yards, with a half minutes rest, then three hundred yards with one minutes rest; and then complete the test in a two hundred yard dash, making in all seven hundred yards test the double time, with one and one-half minutes rest.

The physical examinations before and after the test are to be the same as provided for in paragraph 2 of this order.

4. The Commandant of the Marine Corps will be required to make such of the above tests as the Secretary of the Navy shall direct.

5. Field officers of the permanent staff of the Marine Corps who have arrived at an age and rank which renders it highly improbable that they will never be assigned to any duty requiring participation in active military operations in the field, may, upon their own application, be excused from the physical test, but not from the prescribed above.

Such a request, however, if granted, will be regarded by the executive authority as conclusive reason for not selecting the applicant for any future promotion in volunteer rank, or for assignment, selection or promotion to a position involving participation in operation of the line of the Marine Corps, or in competition with officers of the line of the Marine Corps for any position.

Theodore Roosevelt
"The White House"
"December 9, 1908" (989)

G.F. Elliott
Major General, Commandant


Submitted By: MARINE Jim McCallum (the ole gunny)
Vol. #9, #2 (FEB., 2019)

I know that I've wondered away from my adventures, experiences or whatever you want to call them while I was in Aviation, but as I said before, my MARINE CORPS career was varied and busy, and let's not forget, rewarding. I just wish that I had "total recall" and then this task would be easy. And yes, I know that I've repeated myself probably more then I'd like to remember, but that's part of the fun of doing this.

In the previous edition of "The FLIGHT LINE", (Vol.#9, #1), I eluded to the fact that I was one of the few recipients of the coveted Centurion Award for outstanding achievement during my tour of duty as a Recruiter/Canvasser in Olympia, Wash.

It was just after this that I was re-assigned to a temporary duty station (MCAF-Santa Ana) for training, and then overseas, where I was to be further assigned to HMM-(C)-164 at NAS (Naval Air Station) Cubi Point in the Philippine, Islands. Now, You'll notice that the unit designation shown above has a not normally seen "C" as part of the unit call-out. The "C" stands for "Composite", and that means several different types of Aircraft in the inventory. In this case this unit had, CH-53's, CH-46's, and UH-1's and was gearing up for an upcoming 1st time event named "Operation ENDSWEEP". This was to be mostly a NAVY and MARINE CORPS operation for the sole purpose of clearing the mines that the U.S. had previously laid in the rivers and surrounding waters to Haiphong Harbor in North Vietnam. This type of Mine removal had never been attempted before and there was a lot to be learned from many different angles. Our "GO" signal was to come as soon as the peace talks in "Paris" were over, and the, it was "let's go to work". This being the case we never knew what each day was going to bring, but we are MARINES and we are trained to "expect the UN-expected."

The CH-53 was the designated "work horse" in this undertaking except it had to be retro-fitted with some different and unique gear that the NAVY had already installed in their RH-53's. That was the NAVYs designation for the Helicopters that were equipped to perform this specific mission. Being that the CORPS did not intend this to be an ongoing type of mission for our Aircraft, it did not have the equipment necessary for the job, so the NAVY loaned us everything that we needed, all we had to do was get it, and "Hurry UP" and install it, in and on, our birds. Once that was done, get everybody trained in it's operation, maintenance and use. Now that, that's done, let's also get proficient with our new found toys... Another, "not easy task". Everyone had to be NATOPS Certified to operate the equipment and being that I was the only NATOPS instructor/Inspector in the unit, my hands were full, plus I was the Detachment NCOIC, Maint. Chief., Quality Control INSP., MAIL CLERK, and whatever else there was.

There were also the detection/detonation devices, and they were, the 105 Jet Sled, the MOP (30ft. Magnetic Orange Pipe), and the other item name (device) escapes me for now.

The bottom line to this whole operation was that only two mines were detonated and two Aircraft (as I recall) were lost due to mechanical problems. Not bad for a first ever attempt at aerial Mine clearing, HuH!

You Can Go Now, Son

In a previous submission, had commented on a big exercise at 29 Palms, generally called the "Mobile Mechanized Exercise". This was a five-day, six night luxury cruise, live-fire, around the perimeter of the base... even VP Biden would have called it a "BFD". In the late 1970's, other than a few 'Starlight Scopes' in infantry battalions, and those usually under lock and key in the H&S Co. armory, for the use of the S-2 Scout/Sniper platoons... there just wasn't the widespread use of NVD (Night Vision Devices)... today, I think messmen probably get a pair to find their way to the messhall ('scuse me... "Dining Facility") in the early morning hours. Vehicles, some of them, anyway, might have had infra-red headlights, and vision blocks that, if working... allowed some forward vision... mostly tanks and amtracks, and for regular ol' motor T wheels, there were "Blackout Driving lights... EDBD (say it fast...) slits of white light from the front fenders, and 'cats' eyes' on the tail lights. The deal there was that the following driver was supposed to keep track of how many little red lights he saw... if he could discern more than one or two shining through the dust in front of him... he was pretty close. Seeing four points of red light was usually followed by a loud metallic noise... but hopefully, no steam or dripping coolant.

The CO of the entire exercise force was Colonel Bud Garrett... a gentleman and scholar of the old artillery school, un-flappable, calm, cool, and collected. For his first staff and commander's meeting just before the kick-off of the exercise, he had us assemble under a big fly tent at Camp Wilson (now known as the "Exercise Support Base"... close by the expeditionary airfield)... He came in, and after having all stand at ease, took his seat in a canvas director's chair, poured a cup of coffee from the thermos he was carrying, took a sip, and said "I assume y'all have the jobs you have because you know what you're doing... so go do it. If you have any questions, come see me... that's all"...

For those who have never had the pleasure, be assured that you can indeed see a long way in the desert... and even more so if it involves a point of light on a dark night. The first night of the exercise... headlights on moving vehicles could be spotted here and there all over the place, which caused a lot of heated radio traffic about getting the word to all hands about light discipline. The second night was a bit better, but still far from total blackout, which was the commander's intent. At noon chow time on the third day at the big CP, Col Garrett asked me if I could bring a hammer to the evening brief? When I asked if he needed a claw hammer, or a ball-peen, or a dead-blow, or?, the Col said 'just a hammer... any kind will do'... I had no idea what in the world a full Colonel in the middle of the desert would want with a hammer... but I borrowed one from a vehicle tool kit. The jump CP was set up on a slight rise, overlooking a MSR (Main Supply Route)... and as we began to assemble in the gathering dusk, fifty yards from the road, we observed a M151 jeep coming down the road... with its headlights on. The Colonel, hammer in hand;, strolled down to the MSR, and holding up a hand, bade the driver to stop.

The Colonel then quite calmly used the hammer to break out both headlights on the jeep, then told the driver: "you can go now, son..."

Within moments, what had looked like fireflies in extended order drill began to wink out... all over the desert. It must have been telepathy, because radio traffic couldn't have spread the word that fast... but it got dark out there... and stayed dark.

Imagine, if you can, LCPL Schmuckatelli pulling back into his unit area, and encountering his units' Motor T Gunny: "Schmuckatelli! what in the (f-bomb) happened to yer (F-bombing, adjectivorialy) headlights?! "Ah, Gunny... yore not going to believe this, but... this Colonel, see, signaled me to stop, and he"... I doubt the Gunny believed him... but do know that the Colonel got the word down to the owning unit that the driver's tale was true. It stayed pretty much dark in the desert for the rest of the exercise...

On the IR subject, recall receiving some M880 trucks (Dodge pickups, 4X4) at 1st Track Veh Bn at Camp Schwab... the camo paint fad hadn't hit yet, or was just getting started, but these new trucks were a dull Marine Corps green... and had been painted with "Infra-red Absorptive" paint... this was the newest magic stuff, and at a reported $35 a gallon (1976 prices) danged expensive, but supposedly made whatever it was painted with not reflective of infra-red illumination. So, just for funsies, one pitch black night, we parked one down the ridge by the amtrack wash ramp, put an infra-red vision block in the driver's hatch of a P-7, buttoned up, and turned the IR headlights on... When we looked through the vision block... what we saw down there, nearly a hundred yards (meters for you newbies...)... looked a lot like a Dodge pickup truck...

'Cordovan' was more a type of leather than a specific color shade... and for many years prior to the plastic abominations available today, was specific to officers. The leather, made from a layer of horse hide just under the skin, has relatively small pores, and as such will polish easily to a high gloss. Have been told that if an entire can of polish (Lincoln brand, usually) was worked into a pair, that thereafter, a quick swipe with a damp chamois skin would produce an inspection ready shine. I recall seeing exactly one pair being worn in enlisted uniform (they were quite expensive...), and that was a fellow boot camp PFC when he arrived in the back of a Base Motors sedan for our junior drill instructor's court-martial at 14 area at Pendleton... he didn't get called on it, to my knowledge. He either just pulled it off, or the fact that his last name was Pendleton might have helped... supposedly a relative of "Uncle Joe Pendleton", for whom the base was named... Brooks Brothers has a cheap pair listed for only $650... elsewhere, they will run into four digits. The leather does have a different hue than the cowhide shoes that were enlisted issue before Corfam. Old DI's knew to look at the 'counter', or the thin materiel in the heel cup of the right shoe of a new pair. There were saw-tooth notches there that denoted various grades of leather... four was as good as it got, and those would shine up really well... I think I learned that from one of the civilians in clothing issue at MCRD, SD... 'bout fifty years ago...


Short Rounds

Apparently things have changed. While attending 'A' School at NAS Jax in '67 (before it was moved), passing out drunk in a vacant lot, bodysurfing all weekend and renting a room for $1.00 a night from the old lady down the street from the corner drugstore in St. Augustine was ok. Too bad, life was good.

Wayne Stafford
RVN '68-'69

About Tom A. and no overnight liberty. If someone is going through some type of school or special training, that is not unusual.

J. L. Stelling
1stSgt. of Marines, Retired

My daughter went to MOS training NAS Meridian Miss., same rule applied while they were in "school" (they called them "school house Marines"...) I think it had to do with newly minted Marines out on the town the rule is relaxed once they join the fleet; I attended radio school at Pendleton '75 just remember weekend passes until our training was over.



While back we had a round about in the Newsletter and Facebook, movies about Marines.

I don't remember seeing this one mentioned. It's an oldie. 1957 Robert Mitchum and Deborah Kerr. Heaven Knows Mr. Allison.

Thought some of ya might enjoy a trip back to yesteryear! BTW it's on Netflix this month.

Semper Fi
Choo Choo
Sgt (nla)
1968 – 1974, RVN '70-'71

Went to boot camp at MCRD San Diego June - Aug 1952. Plt 439. Our Drill Instructors wore pith helmets. When stationed in NavCommFac Phil 1958-1960 our uniform consisted of short sleeve khakis with pith helmets. A cool cover for hot climates.

G. H. Brandt
Marine Gunner 1952 - 1972

January 1955 was part of a BLT that made an amphibious landing in the Aleutians to prove that it could be done. Spent six weeks aboard an AKA, pulling liberty in Seattle and San Francisco (great time at Marine Memorial Club). Stretched our legs in Dutch Harbor.

Bob Rader


"How did mankind ever come by the idea of liberty? What a grand thought it was!"
--G. C. Lichtenberg, Reflections [1799]

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
--Gen. Pershing, U.S. Army

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking!"
--Ferdinand Foch

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem!"
--Chesty Puller, USMC

"heart breakers and life takers", who believed we were all John Wayne reincarnated?

"The Crotch!"

"Welcome to the Suck."

Fair winds and following seas.
Sgt Grit

©2014 Sgt Grit Inc
7100 SW 44th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73179
You are receiving Sgt Grit's weekly newsletter.
Unsubscribe from just the newsletter ...OR...
Unsubscribe from all Sgt Grit Emails
Like Sgt Grit's e-mails but want less? Let us know.
Newsletter: Change to Monthly
Special Offers E-mail: Change to Weekly or Change to Monthly
To Submit a story - Email info@grunt.com.
Subscribe to this newsletter.